Annie Silverman is a relief printmaker and book artist who for over 20 years has been creating experimental work with print installations, dimensional objects and books. In 2008 she formed ABRAZOS PRESS with Sandra Butler and Nina Wishnok at Miller St. in Somerville, MA. ABRAZOS Press is a small teaching and professional studio where workshops are routinely given in:
- Mixed Media printmaking
- Improvisational Woodcut
- Artists’ Books
Beginners and people with no art experience are most welcome to take classes. Wood block carving and printing are both creative and oddly calming in our frenzied world.
Annie teaches Artists Books and relief printmaking as a part-time instructor at Massachusetts College of Art and Design in Boston. Her work has been exhibited nationally and internationally, most recently as part of the Al-Mutanabbi St. Starts Here Project in 2013 in Manchester, England, and in ALL THINGS GRAPHIC in Utrecht, Netherlands in 2012 along with her Dutch partner in art hijinks, Wilma Vissers, who she met while in residency at CLO’ in County Donegal, Ireland in 2010. In 2012 and 2013 her Vanishing Pollinator Installation was exhibited at The Boston Public Library , and at the Cantor Gallery at Holy Cross College in Worcester, MA as part of the Re-Think INK exhibition from Mixit Studios in Somerville, MA.
Her woodblock and polyester plate lithographic artist book about bees, Associative Miscellany, was exhibited in Kyoto, Japan as part of the Moku Hanga Printmaking Exhibition in 2011, and was purchased my the Mass Art Library in 2012. Associative Miscellany II is part of the Southern Graphics Council’s Traveling International Exhibition, and began its 3-year tour at the SGC Conference in New Orleans last spring. A part of her mixed media print installation: VANISHING POLLINATORS was exhibited at the Boston Public Library this Spring as part of Mixit Studios 25th anniversary exhibition.
Annie is an experienced teacher and has given workshops at Zea Mays, Penland School of Crafts, Pyramid Atlantic, and Mixit Studios.
Friends of Annie Silverman
- Accordion Noir – Accordion music radion station through time and space including: Icelandic klezmer, Historic, folkloric, and from Vancouver.
- Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here – International artist book project in which I am a participant.
- Sas Colby – One of my teachers. A wizard of color, light, and Smiles.
- Ira Cummings
- Maggie Dubris – Poet and musician.
- Great Small Works
- Honk Fest
- Lovely in the Home Press
- McClain's Printmaking Supplies
- Fish McGill – So many good things to look at and think about, DRAWING!
- Jenny Mendes – Ceramics with drawing on surfaces, a wonderfully wise and visually astute blog.
- Caleb Neelon – International public artist and my art fairy godson. Co-author of "The History of American Graffiti" with Roger Gastman.
- Deborah Olin
- Sentence First – An Irishman’s blog about the English language.
- Oiseaux Sisters – Mixed media artists, poetic and wacky; at the same time my kind of makers.
- Union Press – Letterpress shop in Union Sq. Somerville. Eli Epstein and I have been collaborating on a letterpress and woodcut artist book and postcard class. We made some pretty wonderful books to get the process down.
- James Weinberg
- Wilma Vissers – Dutch artist who meets the world by posting daily drawings on Facebook. Her minimalism has run in contrast to my “more is more” in projects we have done together.